Coronavirus-Related Changes to Town Programs, Activities & Facilities
Last updated: Friday, June 26, 2020 | 3:00 p.m.
- Town Hall is open normal hours. Public access to the 2nd and 3rd Floors resumed on Monday, June 15.
- In accordance with the Governor's directive, members of the public are expected to wear face masks while in Town Hall.
- Residents are still encouraged to pay bills online rather coming into Town Hall.
- The Zoning Division accepts permit applications by email. Visit the Permit Applications page for more information.
- If there are no public meetings, Town Hall closes at 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Beginning Monday, July 6, outside groups may reserve meeting rooms in Town Hall from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Town Hall is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays for public restroom access. Town Hall is closed on Sundays.
- Public meetings resumed the normal schedule in June. However, some meetings have been moved in order to meet in a larger room to allow appropriate social distancing. Please check the Town website calendar for current meeting dates, times, and locations.
- Meetings that take place in the Council Chamber are broadcast on the Town’s local government access channels (FiOS Channel 35 and Xfinity Channel 67) and streamed live on the Town website (www.leesburgva.gov/webcasts). Members of the public are encouraged to watch remotely.
- Members of the public can participate remotely via telephone or video conference in Town Council, Planning Commission, BAR, and BZA meetings. Instructions for joining the meetings are on the printed agendas posted in the Town Hall lobby and on the town website:
Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste, and Bulk Item Collection
- Yard waste collection began for the season on Monday, March 30. Yard waste is collected on Mondays town-wide. For size and quantity guidelines, visit our Yard Waste page.
- Bulk item collection resumed on Monday, May 18. Residents must submit requests for collection directly to Patriot Disposal, using our online form.
- Residents are asked to follow these guidelines regarding trash and recycling, to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.
Parks and Recreation
- Ida Lee Park Recreation Center is open with a reduced capacity to allow for social distancing and reduced hours:
- Indoor fitness classes have resumed.
- The gym is open for shooting basketball with a maximum of 4 people per hoop. No games.
- Racquetball courts is open for single play only.
- The indoor pool is open for lap swimming and exercise only, limit 3 people per lane.
- All summer day camps are canceled.
- A Room to Grow Preschool has been cancelled permanently.
- All park and facility rentals are canceled until further notice.
- The Movies Under the Stars series, 4th of July Celebration, and TASTE Leesburg events are canceled.
- The Acoustic on the Green concerts for June and July are canceled. We hope to begin the concert series in August.
- Town parks are open dawn to dusk and all park facilities are open, including:
- Playgrounds, ballfields, soccer/lacrosse fields, basketball courts, and park pavilions.
- Community garden plots are open to registered gardeners.
- The dog park at Olde Izaak Walton Park is open daily, dawn to dusk.
- The Eric Brown Skate Plaza is open daily from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The outdoor tennis courts at Ida Lee are open daily from 8 a.m to 8 p.m. Private tennis lessons will be available, with a two-player limit per class. For court reservations and other questions, call 703-737-6068.
- AV Symington Aquatic Center will open on Monday, July 6. Interactive water features will not remain closed. No deck chairs will be available. Patrons are encouraged to bring their own chairs or blankets.
Thomas Balch Library
- Thomas Balch Library is open for in-person research by appointment only during the following hours. Visit the library website to make an appointment.
- Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Reference services are available by email (email@example.com), phone (703-737-7195) and social media (www.facebook.com/ThomasBalchLibrary).
- All library programs, seminars, tours, and classes are canceled through June 30.
- All meeting room reservations have been canceled until further notice.
- The Police Department is open 24/7, however the lobby of the building is closed to the public. Anyone needing assistance should use the intercom by the front door.
- The drop box for Town payments is not available to the public. There is another drop box at Town Hall, at the corner of West Market and Wirt Streets.
- The Prescription Drug Drop Off program is suspended until further notice.
- Reservations for the Community Room are canceled until further notice.
- Pursuant to the Governor's order, enforcement of vehicle safety inspections expiring in March and April are suspended for 60 days beyond their respective dates of expiration.
- Kidsmart Safety Camp, Junior Police Camp, Virginia Rules Camp, and Camp Independence are canceled for 2020.
- Other changes to Police Department services are detailed in this news release: www.leesburgva.gov/Home/Components/News/News/8643/5730.
Other Town Services
- On April 14, the Town Council extended the payment due dates for certain business taxes by 90 days.
- Loudoun County has extended the deadline for personal property taxes to June 5. Since Leesburg residents now receive consolidated bills from the county for both town and county taxes, this deadline extension applies to town personal property taxes as well.
- Parking at the Town Hall Parking Garage, the Church Street lot, and all on-street meters is free until further notice. The two-hour limit at meters still applies.
- The Town's public surplus auction is suspended.
Other Public Events
- Leesburg's First Friday for July has been canceled.
- America's 9/11 Foundation Motorcycle Ride, scheduled for August 21, has been canceled.