Coronavirus-Related Changes to Town Programs, Activities & Facilities
Last updated: Friday, April 3, 2020 | 5:00 p.m.
- Town Hall is open normal hours, with limited public access.
- Residents are encouraged to pay bills online rather coming into Town Hall.
- The 2nd and 3rd floors of Town Hall are closed to the public. Customers needing to do business with Public Works & Capital Projects, Plan Review, or Planning & Zoning should contact the appropriate department directly to make an appointment.
- The Zoning Division accepts permit applications by email. Visit the Permit Applications page for more information.
- If there are no public meetings, Town Hall closes at 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Town Hall is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
- The following meetings of the Town Council are scheduled for April:
- April 3 - Special Town Council Meeting
- April 14 - Town Council Meeting
- April 28 - Town Council Meeting
- All other meetings of the Town's adjudicatory bodies (Council, Planning Commission, Board of Architectural Review, and Board of Zoning Appeals) have been canceled for April.
- Meetings are broadcast on the Town’s local government access channels (FiOS Channel 35 and Xfinity Channel 67) and streamed live on the Town website (www.leesburgva.gov/webcasts). Members of the public are encouraged to watch remotely.
- Staff is working on options for remote public participation for petitioners' comments and public hearings.
- Most advisory commission meetings have been canceled for April. Cancellations are noted on the Town website calendar.
Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste, and Bulk Item Collection
- Yard waste collection began for the season on Monday, March 30. Yard waste is collected on Mondays town-wide. For size and quantity guidelines, visit our Yard Waste page.
- Bulk item collection (oversized items like furniture and appliances) is suspended until further notice.
- Town staff is in discussion with Patriot regarding future changes to solid waste disposal, including contingency plans to ensure that essential services continue.
Parks and Recreation
- Ida Lee Park Recreation Center and Ida Lee Tennis Center are closed until further notice.
- All spring classes, programs, and private lessons, including flag football practices and games, are canceled.
- A Room to Grow preschool classes are for the remainder of the academic year.
- All park and facility rentals are canceled until further notice.
- The Easter Egg Hunt, Flower & Garden Festival, Memorial Day Ceremony, and Movies Under the Stars are canceled.
- The Acoustic on the Green concerts for June are canceled. We hope to begin the concert series on July 11, 2020.
- Town parks are open dawn to dusk, however, the following areas within parks are closed until further notice:
- All playgrounds
- Outdoor tennis courts at Ida Lee Park
- Ballfields at Robinson Park
- Soccer/lacrosse fields at Ida Lee Park
- Basketball courts at Greenway Park, Rotary Park, and Foxridge Park
- Eric Brown Skate Plaza at Catoctin Park
- Pavilions at Ida Lee Park, Foxridge Park, Tuscarora Park, Potomac Crossing Park, and Edwards Landing Park
- Dog Park at Olde Izaak Walton Park
- Freedom Park is closed in its entirety.
- Community Garden Plots will not open on April 1. We do not currently have an opening day scheduled.
Thomas Balch Library
- Thomas Balch Library is closed until further notice.
- Reference services are available by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (703-737-7195) and social media (www.facebook.com/ThomasBalchLibrary).
- All library programs, seminars, tours, and classes are canceled, through June 30.
- All meeting room reservations have been canceled until further notice.
- The Police Department is open 24/7, however the lobby of the building is closed to the public. Anyone needing assistance should use the intercom by the front door.
- The drop box for Town payments is not available to the public. There is another drop box at Town Hall, at the corner of West Market and Wirt Streets.
- The Prescription Drug Drop Off program is suspended until further notice.
- Pursuant to the Governor's order, enforcement of vehicle safety inspections has been suspended for 60 days.
- Other changes to Police Department services are detailed in this news release: www.leesburgva.gov/Home/Components/News/News/8643/5730.
Other Town Services
- Loudoun County has extended the deadline for personal property taxes to June 5. Since Leesburg residents now receive consolidated bills from the county for both town and county taxes, this deadline extension applies to town personal property taxes as well.
- Parking at the Town Hall Parking Garage, the Church Street lot, and all on-street meters is free until further notice. The two-hour limit at meters still applies.
- The Town's public surplus auction is suspended.
Other Public Events
- April's First Friday in downtown Leesburg is canceled.
- The Town Plan Update “Draft Plan, First Look” event scheduled for Thursday, April 23, has been canceled.
- The Greater Washington Business Aviation Association Open House at the Leesburg Executive Airport scheduled for Tuesday, April 28, has been canceled.
- The joint Utilities and Public Works Open House scheduled for Saturday, May 9, has been canceled.