The Town of Leesburg provides curbside trash collection to residents and businesses within the corporate limits of the Town. Trash collection falls under Chapter 28 of the Town Code. The following information applies to residents receiving curbside trash and recycling collection in the Town.
Who receives trash collection in town?
- The Town of Leesburg contracts with Patriot Disposal Services to provide collection of trash and recycling for residents and businesses within the Town’s corporate limits.
- Some residents with a “Leesburg” address may not be located within the Town’s corporate limits. You may contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 to verify whether an address is located within the Town’s corporate limits and is eligible for trash and recycling collection.
- Residents not within corporate limits should contact their HOA or Loudoun County Department of Waste Management at 703-777-0187 for information on approved haulers in Loudoun County.
What are the costs, and when are services are provided?
- There is no account or invoice for curbside trash and recycling collection. Most new residents do not need to call to establish service. If the house is new construction, please contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 to be sure they are collecting on your street. Existing houses already have service established so no call is required.
- Town residents receive trash collection once a week– NW: Mondays, NE, inside bypass: Tuesdays, NE, outside bypass: Wednesdays, SW, plus Meadowbrook: Thursdays, and SE, except Meadowbrook: Fridays.
What about containers?
- Later this summer, each residence will receive a black trash toter and a blue recycling toter, with wheels and attached lids. Single family homes will receive 96 gallon toters and townhomes will receive 64 gallon toters. At the present time, Town officials expect toters to be delivered beginning in late July with deliveries completed to all residences by the end of August. Until toters are issued, residents should continue to use their current trash cans and recycling bins.
What types of things cannot be collected on regular trash days?
- Do not mix hazardous household waste , recycling or yard waste with your regular trash. These should be disposed of separately and as appropriate.
- Cardboard - boxes and moving paper (no Styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap please) should be flattened or broken down as much as possible and placed at the curb for recycling pickup on your designated day. Crews will not collect cardboard (including boxes filled with trash) on regular trash collection days.
- Bulky/special items (furnishings, appliances, other household items not fitting in plastic garbage bags or cans) will not be collected on regular trash collection days, you must request a special pickup for such items. The Town does not consider bulky items that were not collected with your regular trash to be a “missed pickup” and will not send collectors back for such items.
- Cooking oil in gallon or more containers. Used cooking oil may be collected with regular trash; however, large containers should be avoided. When placed in the collection vehicle, large containers of liquids such as cooking oil will be crushed resulting in the potential for oil to spill out of the vehicle onto streets. Smaller, sealed containers are acceptable.
What time can trash be put out, and when should containers be removed from the curb?
- Trash should be placed curbside after 4:00pm the day before pickup and before 4:00am the day of pickup. Residents placing trash out past this time may be missed during the pickup for their area. If your trash is missed due to late set out, the collector will not return to pick up this material - it will be picked up on your next regular trash day.
- Trash containers shall be removed from the curbline within 12 hours of collection.
- Trash containers shall be stored behind the front line of the building. Cans may not be left on the curb, sidewalk or other public place.
Where should I put trash and recycling for pickup?
Please have all materials to be collected curbside - the collection crews may not go onto private property to collect refuse or recycling. This includes, but is not limited to:
Alleyways/common areas between townhomes
If your property does not have a sidewalk or curb, trash should be placed as close as possible to the edge of pavement, but not in the street.
How do I report a missed trash collection?
Please use our online form to report a missed trash, recycling or yard waste collection.
Please contact the Department of Public Works via e-mail or by phone at 703-771-2790 with any questions or if you need additional information.