Traffic Management Unit
The Traffic Management Unit is made up of a sergeant and (4) four officers, which includes (2) motorcycle officers, who perform a wide variety of tasks ranging from responding to traffic related complaints from citizens and local government officials, selective enforcement, parking complaints, traffic control, traffic checking details, and crash investigation and reconstruction. A large percentage of their time is committed to conducting traffic safety programs to make our roads safer.
In addition to their regularly assigned duties, members of the Traffic Management Unit are also responsible for the following:
- Special Events (Parades, marches, downtown events, funeral escorts);
- Community Speed Watch Program;
- Variable Message Boards and Speed Trailer deployments;
- Radar and Lidar (Laser) instruction at department and police academy level;
- Police vehicle calibrations;
- Child Safety Seat installations and inspections.
Members of the unit also serve on the Town of Leesburg’s Standing Residential Traffic Committee and the Loudoun County Transportation Committee.