For Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Rocket Launches
PLEASE NOTE, Ida Lee Park is the only Town of Leesburg park that has a FLY ZONE. UAS flights and/or rocket launches are not permitted in any other Town of Leesburg park.
A Flight Permit is required prior to flight/launch and must be within Ida Lee Park’s FLY-ZONE.
Additional information can be found on the Flight Permit Application or at Ida Lee Recreation Center ▪ 703.777.1368.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- The Parks and Recreation Department requires that all flights and launches be safely operated. Every precaution should be taken by the operator to avoid flying in indicated no-fly zones or near others that are using the park. Issuance of permits may be impacted by events in or around the flight zone.
- Flight permit holders must be 18 years or older and be present during flights.
- All FAA regulations must be followed for qualifying aircraft. Details can be found at:
- All manufacturer’s safety precautions must be followed.
- A UAS must stay below 400’ and be kept within visual line of sight.
- Operators will be responsible for any damage caused by their UAS or rocket.
- Regulations for the operations of rockets and aircraft are in the Leesburg, VA Town Code Section 26-24.
- Ida Lee Park is the only park that has a FLY ZONE. UAS flights and/or rocket launches are not permitted in any other Town of Leesburg Park.
- Only two crafts are permitted to be in flight at one time.