History: Carr Tank No. 1 is a 1.5 million gallon elevated water storage tank located next to the Fort Evans Plaza II shopping center, near the intersection of Battlefield Parkway and Fort Evans Road. The tank was originally constructed in 1977. Since that time, the exterior was repainted in 1986, but the interior had never been repainted. The recent construction of the adjacent Carr Tank No. 2 allowed the Town to take this tank offline to make minor repairs and repaint both the interior and exterior without impacting water service.
Project Description: This project included:
- Removal of the existing paint. The exterior of the tank was coated with lead-based paint which required containment and abatement;
- Surface preparation, including repair of deteriorated steel;
- Recoating of the elevated tank’s interior and exterior surfaces;
- Replacement of the cathodic protection system to prevent rust in the tank interior; and
- Other miscellaneous improvements.
These improvements were completed in 2010 and will allow the tank to continue to serve water system users for many years.
Funding: Funding for this $1.1 million project was from the Town's Utility Fund.
Town Staff Contact: Amy Wyks 703-737-7119
Design Engineer: Hazen & Sawyer
Contractor: George Kountoupes Painting Company