Legal FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

legal books

The Town Attorney does not provide legal advice to private citizens and is not permitted to make referrals of private attorneys to citizens.

The Town Attorney does not prosecute criminal matters. All criminal cases occurring within the boundaries of the Town of Leesburg are handled by the Loudoun County Commonwealth's Attorney. For information or inquiries about matters handled by the Commonwealth's Attorney, call 703-777-0242.

For assistance with specific legal issues, please refer to the information below or the additional information on our Legal Resources page.

  • Referrals for legal counsel

    Referrals for legal assistance concerning private and personal matters or criminal defense may be obtained from the Virginia State Bar Lawyers Referral Service. Call toll-free at 1-800-552-7877. 


  • Free or low-cost legal advice and representation

    Persons meeting certain eligibility criteria relating to income may qualify for low-cost or no-cost legal assistance from Legal Services of Northern Virginia (703-778-6800) for non-fee generating legal civil matters, such as domestic relations, consumer complaints, landlord-tenant issues, etc.  

    The Office of the Public Defender provides representation in criminal matters to defendants who meet certain eligibility criteria relative to income.  The Office of the Public Defender may be contacted at 703-771-2507.


  • Complaints about local businesses

    Persons having consumer complaints should contact the Attorney General of Virginia's Consumer Protection Office in Richmond.


  • Landlord-tenant disputes

    The Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act outlines the legal rights and responsibilities of landlord and tenants. For more information, visit the Virginia Housing Development Authority website.

    If you are a renter and you believe that you have been discriminated against by a landlord, you can file a complaint with the Virginia Fair Housing Office.