- The Town of Leesburg contracts with Patriot Disposal Services to provide curbside collection of trash, recycling, and yard waste for single family homes, townhomes, and some businesses within the Town’s corporate limits.
- Some residents with a “Leesburg” address may not be located within the Town’s corporate limits. You may contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 to verify whether an address is located within the Town’s corporate limits and is eligible for trash and recycling collection.
- Residents not within corporate limits should contact their HOA or Loudoun County Department of Waste Management at 703-777-0187 for information on approved haulers in Loudoun County.
Single family home, townhome and certain condo residents within the corporate limits of the Town of Leesburg receive curbside trash and recycling collection automatically. You do not need to request trash collection service or set up an account. You may contact the Public Works Department at email@example.com or 703-771-2790 to verify that your address receives curbside collection.
If your house is new construction and you do not have trash and recycling Toters, please contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 to request Toters.
The Town has been divided into five collection areas for trash and recycling collection. Each collection area receives trash and recycling collection on the same day (see map below). The biggest change from the old collection areas is that Northeast Leesburg has been divided into two areas. Northeast Inside the Bypass includes the Carnaby Square, Carrvale, Cedar Walk, Exeter, Loudoun Hills, Lowenbach and adjacent neighborhoods. Northeast Outside the Bypass includes the Edwards Landing, Potomac Crossing, Potomac Station, River Pointe, and Sycamore Hills neighborhoods. In addition, Meadowbrook Farm has been added to the Southwest collection area. If you are not sure which area your house is in, you can look up your street name on our street index. Yard waste will be collected town-wide on Mondays (April through November) and bulk items will be collected weekly, by request only.
Yes. Each residence that receives curbside trash and recycling collection is issued a black trash Toter and a blue recycling Toter, with wheels and attached lids. Single family homes received 96-gallon Toters and townhomes received 64-gallon Toters.
If you are a new resident and your residence does not have Toters, please contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 to request new Toters.
Need information on what items can be included in your recycling Toter? Check out our What to Include in Your Recycling with photos and descriptions of items accepted!
The following items can not be accepted with recycling collection:
- Plastic bags (including blue or clear recycling bags and green biodegradable bags) and plastic wrap/packaging of any kind should NOT be included with recycling, but placed in your regular trash.
- Tin foil, aluminum disposable baking pans
- Drinking glasses, glass mirrors, window glass
- Light Bulbs (information on Fluorescent bulb disposal)
- Facial tissue, paper towels, napkins, etc.
- Cardboard Milk and Juice Cartons (these items have a wax lining on the cardboard)
- Pizza boxes with grease stains or food stuck to the cardboard
- Frozen food boxes with a wax interior (i.e., some frozen vegetable boxes)
- Styrofoam packing peanuts (Some Styrofoam "bricks" or solid pieces may have a recycling number and can be recycled)
- Aerosol cans
- Plastic containers from hazardous household waste (motor oil bottles, antifreeze bottles, pesticide spray bottles, etc.)
- Snack food bags and wrappers (from chips, granola bars, candy bars, etc.)
- Paper cups, plates and disposable silverware
- Ice cream and frozen juice containers
- Batteries of any kind (auto batteries can be recycled at the Loudoun County Landfill)
If your Toters are missing or are damaged, Patriot Disposal will either replace them or repair them. Please contact Patriot Disposal at 703-771-6677 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request replacements or repairs.
Yes. If you live in a townhome or condo that receives curbside trash and recycling collection and would prefer a 96-gallon Toter, please contact the Public Works Department at 703-771-2790 or email@example.com to request the larger Toters.
As of Tuesday, September 3, 2019, the recycling center, located in the Shenandoah Square parking lot (former Walmart location at 950 Edwards Ferry Road NE), is no longer available. Town residents are encouraged to utilize their free, weekly, residential curbside recycling collections in addition to other recycling centers offered in Loudoun County. They include, but are not limited to, the following locations:
Loudoun County Landfill Recycling Center
21101 Evergreen Mills Road
Leesburg, VA 20175
Please visit the Loudoun County website for more recycling locations.
- Unfortunately, we do not have a permanent facility for this service; however, the Town does host two on-site shred events each year - spring and fall. The events are free to citizens (no businesses) and are usually held at a local high school. Please check the trash and recycling page in early spring and late summer for specific dates and times.
If the trash will fit in the Toter, even with the lid up, that is better than putting the trash on the ground next to the Toter. On those occasions when you have more trash than normal and it will not fit into the Toter, you can use an extra container or you can place it next to the Toter and it will be collected.
- Do not mix hazardous household waste, recycling or yard waste with your regular trash. These should be disposed of separately and as appropriate.
- Cardboard boxes and moving paper (no Styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap please) should be flattened or broken down as much as possible and placed at the curb for recycling pickup.
- Bulky/oversized items (furnishings, appliances, other household items not fitting in plastic garbage bags or cans) will not be collected on regular trash collection days, you must request a special pickup for such items. The Town does not consider bulky items that were not collected with your regular trash to be a “missed pickup” and will not send collectors back for such items.
- Cooking oil in gallon or more containers. Used cooking oil may be collected with regular trash; however, large containers should be avoided. When placed in the collection vehicle, large containers of liquids such as cooking oil will be crushed resulting in the potential for oil to spill out of the vehicle onto streets. Smaller, sealed containers are acceptable.
- Mulch is not collected and must be disposed of at the landfill.
- Trash should be placed curbside after 4:00pm the day before pickup and before 4:00am the day of pickup. Residents placing trash out past this time may be missed during the pickup for their area. If your trash is missed due to late set out, the collector will not return to pick up this material.
- Trash containers shall be removed from the curbline within 12 hours of collection.
- Trash containers shall be stored behind the front line of the building. Cans may not be left on the curb, sidewalk or other public place.
The Town does not have trash drop-off locations. The Loudoun County Landfill accepts household waste for a nominal fee. You may contact them at 703-771-5500 for more information and hours.
Contact Patriot Disposal to get rid of old trash can and recycling bins at 703-771-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org