Permits Required for Construction, Signs and Temporary Use
Before beginning construction, you must first obtain permits for new construction, alterations, additions, decks, screened porches, sheds, interior alterations, basement finishing, and swimming pools from the Department of Planning and Zoning. Zoning review verifies that the intended use and location of the project meets the minimum requirements of the Zoning Ordinance. Zoning approval is also required for any change of use, home occupations, signs, temporary uses, and construction job site trailers. Additionally, staff signs off on applications for occupancy permits which are issued by Loudoun County Department of Building and Development (703-777-0220), as well as Town Business Licenses issued by the Finance Department (703-771-2701).
Rezoning & Special Exception Information can be found in our Development Tool Box
Properties located within the H-1 Old & Historic District and the H-2 Corridor District require Certificate of Appropriateness approval for any exterior alterations to buildings, fences, walkways, driveways, light fixtures, and signs. Please contact Lauren Murphy at 703-771-2773 to discuss your project.
Electronic Permit Submission & Payment Now Offered
The Department of Planning & Zoning is now offering online processing of permits.
Fillable PDF application forms can be found below and emailed, along with all required support documentation, to email@example.com. Once an application is accepted for review, you will be contacted by a member of staff with directions as to how to pay the permit fee online or via mail. Please note that there is a convenience fee of 2.49% for credit card payments or $0.50 for check payments online. Permits will not be processed until payment is received. Please see our Fee Schedule for additional information.
If you have questions or would like additional information, please call our main department line at 703-771-2765 or consult our department directory.
Permit Application Forms & Associated Fees (fee schedule)
- Certificate of Appropriateness (COA applications & checklists)
For projects located in the Old and Historic District as well as the H-2 Corridor, the Board of Architectural Review (BAR) approves applications for new construction, alterations, additions, and improvements.
- Home Occupation Permit (home occupation permit application)
The Zoning Ordinance allows certain businesses and occupations to be conducted as a home occupation provided they comply with Section 9.4.3. A business license issued by the Finance Department (703-771-6503) is required. For more information regarding starting a new business in Leesburg, please see the Town's Leesburg New Business One Stop page.
- Projection & Streetscape Amenities Permit (projection & streetscape amenities application)
Each application needs to be accompanied by 2 sets of plans demonstrating the type of amenity requested and location. There is no fee associated with this permit.
- Sign Permit (sign permit application)
A separate sign application is required for each sign. Each application shall be accompanied by 2 sets of plans demonstrating the size, character, color, letter style and design proposed; the method of illumination, if any; the exact location of the proposed sign, including a site diagram; and in the case of suspended or projecting signs, the method of mounting such sign to its supporting structure. See our Sign Permit Information page for additional information.
- Sign Permit - Temporary (temporary sign permit application)
A separate application is required for each sign. Each application shall be accompanied by 2 sets of plans demonstrating the size, location and advertisement. See our Sign Permit Information page for additional information.
- Temporary Use Permit (temporary use permit application) There are certain uses that may be permitted on a temporary basis in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance such as fireworks stands, Christmas tree sales, circus, tent revival and similar uses. Each application shall be accompanied by 2 site plans demonstrating the location of the proposed temporary use, proposed sign location, parking and customer area.
- Temporary Portable Storage Unit (PODS) (temporary use permit application)
No site plan is required for this application. The maximum duration of a permit is 30 days with the option to request an extension of 30 additional days. Residents and Businesses looking to place a temporary portable storage unit on their property for a period of 14 days or less are not required to apply. All time limitations apply to temporary storage on a particular property and/or for a specific unit (e.g. dwelling unit or office suite), not an individual or entity.
1) Temporary portable storage units used in conjunction with active building permits may be kept for up to six months from the permit issuance date.
2) In the case of an officially declared emergency, that specifically impacts the applicant, all of the requirements described above are waived for up to six months.
- Trailer Permit (trailer permit application)
A separate application is required for each trailer. Each application shall be accompanied by 2 site plans demonstrating the trailer location.
- Zoning Permit (zoning permit application - must be printed on legal size paper)
2 site plans/survey plats showing property lines, all existing structures and the proposed location of the new building, addition, deck, swimming pool, or shed with dimensions, square footages, and distances from all property lines. Interior alterations do not require a plat; however, a proposed floor plan layout is required for finishing your basement or commercial tenant floor plan. Please note that Loudoun County handles all building codes and inspections for your property. Schedule your inspection here:
- Town of Leesburg Zoning Ordinance
- Fee Schedule for Applications & Permits
- Department of Plan Review (review of requirements such as; site plans, subdivision plats, and boundary line adjustments)
- Loudoun County Building and Development (building and other associated permits)