- Business Licenses
- Apply for a New Business License
- Business Tangible Personal Property Tax
- Consumer Taxes
- Tax Rates
- Economic Development & Other Resources
Business Tax Relief Due to the Coronavirus
As a result of the effect that the coronavirus pandemic is having on the local economy, the Leesburg Town Council has delayed the payment due dates for transient occupancy and meals & beverage taxes, as well as annual business license renewals. For information about the transient occupancy and meals & beverage tax relief, visit the Consumer Taxes page. For information about the new due dates for annual business license renewals, please see "Business Licenses" below.
Most businesses operating in the Town of Leesburg are required to have a business, professional and occupation license (BPOL). When receiving a new license, the business pays the license tax for that year, based on an estimate of the gross receipts the business expects to receive through the end of the year. When renewing the business license for the first time, the business will reconcile the gross receipts estimated on the initial license application with actual gross receipts for the previous year. For all subsequent business license renewals, the business will pay the license tax due based on the previous year's gross receipts.
Annual License Renewals:
- Businesses that started in the Town of Leesburg after January 1, 2017:
- Complete the business license renewal form
- Business that started in the Town of Leesburg prior to January 1, 2017:
- You will receive a notice to access our Customer Portal to file and pay.
Delayed Payment Due Date for Business License Renewals for 2020
As a relief effort for town businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic, the Leesburg Town Council has delayed the payment due date for 2020 Annual Business License Renewals:
- Filing Date: May 1, 2020
- Payment Due Date: July 30, 2020
Businesses that file by May 1, 2020, will not be charge penalties or interest if they pay by July 30, 2020.
- Business licenses are valid for one calendar year (Jan 1- Dec 31).
- Annual renewals are due by May 1 each year.
- Businesses filing renewals after May 1 are assessed a 10% penalty of tax due.
- Renewals received after June 1 incur interest at a rate of 10% per annum.
- For more information about the various payment options available, please visit our Payment Options page.
All businesses located within the Town of Leesburg are required to file a Business Tangible Personal Property registration form with the Loudoun County Commissioner of the Revenue. Loudoun County bill and collects business tangible personal property taxes for the Town.
The Town of Leesburg levies the following consumer taxes. These taxes are paid by the consumer at the time of purchase and remitted by the businesses. New businesses need to file applicable registration forms with the Town. Visit the Consumer Taxes page for more information.
- Transient Occupancy - 6% local tax on the total room rate plus 2% regional tax.
- Meals & Beverage and Prepared Foods - 3.5%
- Short-Term Rentals - 1%
To obtain Business License account and tax information or for questions, send a detailed e-mail to email@example.com. Email responses will be sent within 48 hours of the inquiry.