Project Description: The Lowenbach Street and Drainage Improvements has a long project history. The project consists of upgrades to all five streets in the subdivision. Improvements include:
- New curb and gutter on all streets
- Widen streets to uniform widths that allow 2-way traffic and on-street parking on one side
- Reconstruct pavement to accommodate modern traffic
- Chokers or “bump outs” at selected locations to encourage slower traffic and to minimize impacts to adjacent properties
- Speed tables on all north-south streets
- Traffic Circles on Catoctin Circle north of the subdivision at the intersections with North Street and Marshall Street
- Driver feedback signs
- Brick sidewalk on one side of all streets
- New underground storm drainage system on all streets in the neighborhood
- Improved drainage outfalls from the neighborhood along Mayfair Drive, Edwards Ferry Road to Cherry Lane, and toward Catoctin Circle north of the Giant grocery store
- Replacement of selected water and sanitary sewer lines throughout the neighborhood
Phase I Traffic Circles on Catoctin Circle: Construction of this phase of the project was completed in 2007. The project included the installation of two traffic circles on Catoctin Circle - one at the North Street intersection and one at the Marshall Drive intersection. These traffic circles serve as traffic calming measures by forcing drivers to slow to a speed that allows them to comfortably maneuver around each circle. Volunteers in the Adopt-A-Spot program landscape these traffic circles, which provide attractive gateways into the community.
Phase II Catoctin Circle: Construction of this phase of the project was completed in 2011. This project included new curb and gutter on Catoctin Circle and adjacent portions of Blue Ridge Avenue, brick sidewalk on the west side of Catoctin Circle, traffic calming measures, a new storm drainage system, and upgrades to the sanitary sewer and water systems. As a part of this phase of work, the following actions were taken as directed by Town Council's Resolution 2011-138:
- Installation of a four-way stop at Catoctin Circle and Blue Ridge Avenue;
- Installation of driver feedback signs on Catoctin Circle and Blue Ridge Avenue; and
- Removal of the barricade from Catoctin Circle near North Street.
Catoctin Circle Before
Catoctin Circle After
Phase III Prince Street: Construction of this phase of the project was completed in 2013. This phase of the project included widening Prince Street to 30 feet, adding curb and gutter along both sides of the road, adding sidewalk on the west side of the road, drainage improvements and traffic calming measures. Also included in this phase was work on Blue Ridge Avenue from Prince Street to Catoctin Circle. The adjacent section of Blue Ridge Avenue was widened to 28 feet with curb and gutter, drainage improvements, and sidewalk on the north side of the street.
Prince Street Before
Prince Street After
Phase IV Storm Drainage Outfall: Construction of this phase of the project was completed in 2014. This phase of the project provided the upgraded storm drainage outfall for Phase V - Washington and Queen Streets. The upgrade took place along Edwards Ferry Road between Washington Street and Cherry Lane, and on the south end of Mayfair Drive, with minor storm drainage improvements on Cherry Lane from Edwards Ferry Road to its outfall at Carrvale Park.
Phase V Washington Street & Queen Street: Construction of this phase of the project was completed in 2016. This phase of the project included widening both streets to 30 feet, adding curb and gutter on both sides of the street, adding sidewalk on the east side of Washington Street and along one side of Queen Street, and installing drainage improvements and traffic calming measures. Also included in this phase was work on Blue Ridge Avenue between Catoctin Circle and Washington Street. Blue Ridge Avenue was widened to 28 feet with curb and gutter, drainage improvements, and sidewalk on the north side of the street.
|Queen Street Before||Queen Street After|
|Blue Ridge Avenue Before||Blue Ridge Avenue After|
Project Status: The final phase of work was completed in 2016.
- Design Engineers
- Phases I, II & III - Whitman Requardt & Associates, LLP
- Phases IV & V - Bowman Consulting Group Ltd.
- Construction Contractors
- Phase I (Traffic Circles) - Cube Construction
- Phase II (Catoctin Circle) - Tessa Construction & Tech Company, LLC
- Phase III (Prince Street) - Arthur Construction Co., Inc.
- Phase IV (Storm Drainage Outfall) - Arthur Construction Co., Inc.
- Phase V (Blue Ridge, Washington & Queen) - Arthur Construction Co., Inc.