Town Council Notice of Public Hearing Appeal from Decision of Board of Architectural Review
- Date: 06/25/2019 7:00 PM
- Location: Council Chamber
25 West Market Street
Leesburg, Virginia 20176
TOWN OF LEESBURG
NOTICE PUBLIC HEARING
APPEAL FROM DECISION OF BOARD OF ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
Pursuant to Section 15.2-2306 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended and Town of Leesburg Zoning Ordinance Section 3.1.9.D.1, Notice is hereby given that a public hearing will be held by the Leesburg Town Council on June 25, 2019, at 7:00pm in the Town Council Chamber, second floor in the Leesburg Town Hall, 25 West Market Street, Leesburg, Virginia 20176 to hear the following appeal from a decision by the Leesburg Board of Architectural Review:
Case No. TLHP-2018-0107, 7 E. Market Street: Matthew P. Snow, on behalf of M.E. Associates, LLC and Samuel D. Engle (sole owner of M.E. Associates, LLC), has submitted an appeal from the March 4, 2019 decision of the Leesburg Board of Architectural Review (BAR) denying the retroactive request to replace the roof of the subject structure with a new, synthetic slate material. The BAR denied this application as authorized in §3.10 of the Town of Leesburg Zoning Ordinance with the finding that the proposal is not consistent with the Old & Historic District Guidelines for replacement materials for the following reasons:
- The subject structure is a contributing structure in the Old and Historic District.
- The Guidelines support repair and replacement in-kind for historic structures. Replacement with an alternative material is appropriate only when it is compatible with the age, style, and character of the building.
- The proposed material (synthetic slate tiles) is not compatible with the age, style, or character of the building. Synthetic slate tiles are more appropriate on new construction or otherwise non-contributing structures.
- The Guidelines support the use of synthetic or composite slate on new construction but are clear that historic structures should receive repair and replacement in-kind or another compatible material.
- In this case, the most appropriate alternative material was standing seam metal.
The property subject to this appeal is the historic structure located at 7 E. Market Street and further identified as Parcel Identification Number (PIN#) 231-38-4978-000 in the Leesburg Old and Historic District.
Full and complete copies of the above-referenced appeals and related documents may be examined in the Leesburg Department of Planning & Zoning, on the second floor of the Leesburg Town Hall, 25 West Market Street, during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm), or by calling 703-771-2773 and asking for Lauren Murphy, Preservation Planner, Department of Planning & Zoning.
At this hearing, all persons desiring to express their views regarding this matter will be heard. Persons requiring special accommodations should contact the Clerk of Council at 703-771-2733, three days in advance of the meeting date. For TTY/TDD service, use the Virginia Relay Center by dialing 711.