Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Frequently Asked Utilities Questions

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions for the Department of Utilities.  If you do not see your question answered here or if you would like additional information about any of the services we provide, please e-mail us or call 703-771-2750.


Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

Do I have to send in the backflow device test results or does the tester?

Many testers voluntarily submit test results for their customers; however, it is your responsibility to ensure it arrives at our office on time to avoid water service termination. Make sure your tester gives you a copy of your test results and completes the LEESBURG Backflow Test Report Form.

Do I still have to have the backflow device tested if I'm not going to use my irrigation system?

If you have an irrigation system, you must either have the backflow device installed and tested every Spring by June 1st, or permanently cut and cap the system, have the work inspected by the Town’s Environmental Compliance Officer, and sign a Memorandum of Understanding stating the system will no longer be used.  Penalty for reconnection without notification to the Town beforehand, is a violation of the Town’s Cross Connection Control Program and punishable by misdemeanor charge, fine of up to $2,500, and one year in jail. Call 703-771-2762 for further information.

What is the process for requesting water and sewer service for a new development?

Upon approval of the construction plans, the developer should contact Lisa Smith at 703-771-2762 for calculation of fees and a draft permit. The developer can pay the fees at Town Hall. After water and sewer fees are paid, a Town zoning permit can be obtained for construction. 

For customers wishing to establish a new water and sewer account call 703-771-2701 or follow the instructions posted at the Town's open / close account page.

I want to install an irrigation system, what do I need to do?

You or your irrigation contractor must obtain a Loudoun County plumbing permit, install the proper backflow prevention device, and inform the Town's Utility Department of your system.

  1. Your contractor must apply for a plumbing permit through Loudoun County Building & Development.
  2. The irrigation system must be provided with an RPZ backflow preventer to eliminate any potential for cross connection.
  3. The backflow prevention device must be tested by a certified backflow tester and results submitted on a LEESBURG BACKFLOW DEVICE REPORT FORM  to the Town's Utility Department by Fax to 703.737.7185, or by email to, or by mail.
  4. The backflow device must be tested annually to assure its operability.
Where do I get the backflow device test form or who has the backflow device test form?

Go to connection control  and scroll down to Backflow Test Report Form.

How do I know when my annual backflow testing is due?

The Utilities Department will send you a letter to remind you to have the backflow prevention device tested. Devices connected to lawn irrigation systems are due annually when the system is turned on, NO LATER THAN JUNE 1ST.

Who should I contact if my sewer line is backing up into my house?

First call the Utilities Department at 703-771-2750 or after normal business hours, call 703-771-4500. We’ll send an employee to determine the location of the blockage at no charge to the customer. If we find that the blockage is not in the Town's sewer main, the customer is responsible for removing the blockage at his or her own expense.

How Can I Get Water Service Connected or Re-Connected?
Water and sewer accounts are handled through the Finance Department.  Please visit the Water and Sewer Bills page for additional information on these services and related billing/account setup.  You may also contact the Finance Department by calling 703-771-2701.
I try to conserve water, but I frequently see Town personnel wasting water at fire hydrants. Why?

Utility personnel flush areas of the Town’s distribution system, especially in the warmer months, to help reduce water age and improve water quality. This flushing is an important component of maintaining a water distribution system and ensuring that customers receive the highest quality product at all times.

What utility services are provided by the Town of Leesburg?

The Town provides only water and sanitary sewer services. Electric is provided by either NOVEC or Dominion Virginia Power. Gas is provided by Washington Gas.

What are Town Hall office hours?
The Town Hall is open from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Where is Town Hall located?
The Leesburg Town Hall is located at 25 West Market Street, Leesburg, VA 20176.
Will the Town locate water and sewer lines in my yard if I call Miss Utility?

No. The Town will only locate and mark water and sewer lines that are Town maintained. The Town does not locate water and sewer lines on private property because these lines belong to the homeowner or business.

Why are there colored paint marks in the street and in my yard?

These marks indicate underground utilities. The yellow mark shows where a gas line is present; blue indicates a water line; green represents a sewer line; red indicates electric power lines, cables, conduit and lighting cables; orange represents communications, alarm or signal lines, cables or conduit; pink indicates temporary survey markings; and white signifies proposed excavation. Markings are made by utility operators as required by the Virginia Underground Utility Damage Protection Act of 1979 and coordinated by "Miss Utility of Virginia".

I've heard that my drinking water contains chlorine – is it safe to drink?
Yes. Chlorine is effective in water disinfection and the Water Supply Division maintains the chlorine concentration at a safe drinking level.
Where does Leesburg’s water come from?

The Leesburg Water Supply Division utilizes water from one groundwater well and surface water from the Potomac River.

What is the difference between a sanitary sewer and a storm sewer?

Leesburg has separate sanitary sewer and storm sewer systems, which means water and waste products from your toilets, showers, dishwashers, and sinks flow into the sanitary sewer system for treatment at the Water Pollution Control Facility. Rain water running off your roof and Town streets flow into the storm drainage system and discharge untreated into local streams flowing to the Potomac River. That is why it is critical not to dump anything into the street drains.

What happens to the water I flush?

All sanitary drains from premises discharge into underground pipes that flow to the Leesburg Water Pollution Control Facility where the wastewater is treated physically, chemically, and biologically before being discharged back to the environment. The gravity pipes follow the natural drainage of the land and get larger to convey additional collected volume as they flow downstream. Gaps in the gravity sewer system are overcome by installing sewer pump stations at low points in the area or neighborhood where the wastewater collects in large manholes and is then pumped to gravity sewers farther downstream. Most residential neighborhoods are served by 8-inch diameter gravity sewers.  The largest sanitary sewer pipe in Leesburg is 36-inch in diameter.

Can you recommend a backflow tester?

We do not endorse any particular backflow tester. We recommend that you select a tester by checking references, comparing prices, and using information available. You must ensure that the tester does have certification for backflow testing.

How do I know if I need a backflow test?

If you have a lawn irrigation system or a fire sprinkler system, you are required to have a backflow device installed and it must be tested annually.

1 2 3

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download Flash Player Download QuickTime Download Windows Media Player Download Microsoft Silverlight Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer