Leesburg, VA (September 20, 2013) – The Town of Leesburg’s Public Works Department will begin its annual fall bulk leaf collection schedule on Monday, October 21, 2013. Crews will collect non-bagged leaves placed at the curb in all quadrants of the Town throughout the leaf season.
Prior to October 21, 2013, residents should place leaves in covered trash cans with handles or biodegradable paper bags for pickup on their normal yard waste and recycling collection days (Thursdays in the southeast and southwest quadrants; Fridays in the northeast and northwest quadrants).
Once the curbside bulk leaf collection begins, residents are asked to follow these guidelines:
- Please rake leaves not more than four feet from the edge of the curb by Sunday evening of each collection week.
- On streets without curb and gutter, place leaves as close as possible to the front property line, closest to the street.
- Do not park vehicles or place equipment or toys in or around the leaves.
- Do not rake leaves in front of storm drain inlets.
- Do not rake leaves in front of or around fire hydrants or utility boxes.
- Do not mix grass clippings, yard waste or other brush items with the leaves.
Crews will collect leaves in each quadrant of the Town (NE/NW/SE/SW) weekly. However, there is not a set schedule to collect leaves on specific days for any particular street or neighborhood within a quadrant.
Final leaf pickup for the season is scheduled for the week of January 6 through January 10, 2014. Inclement weather (heavy rain or snow) may extend the collection period. Once fall bulk leaf collection has ended, all leaves must be set out in covered trash cans with handles or biodegradable paper yard waste bags for pickup on normal recycling collection days.
Streets Assistant Superintendent