In order to increase our ability to communicate refuse and recycling service changes and delays, as well as other DPW news, we have set up an email system to send out important updates to residents and businesses in Leesburg. You must subscribe to this mailing list in order to receive the emails. Please visit our ListServ page to subscribe to this program. You may also unsubscribe at any time. Thank you!
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding recycling collection in the Town of Leesburg. If you have any additional questions or need more information, please call 703-771-2790 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When is my recycling collected?
- How do I report a missed recycling collection?
- What can be recycled?
- What cannot be recycled?
- Does my recycling have to be in a blue recycling bin?
- Town of Leesburg Recycling Drop-off Center
- Additional Recycling Centers in Loudoun County
When is my recycling collected?
Residents in the SE/SW Quadrants have recycling collected on Thursdays. Residents in the NE/NW Quadrants have recycling collected on Fridays. Your bin must be at the curb before 6AM the day of collection - regardless of when your recycling is collected during the day. CSI may change schedule/routes due to weather, vehicle breakdown, staffing changes, etc. so it is VERY important to have your recycling out by 6AM. Crews cannot return for material set out late. Recycling may be taken to the Town's drop-off center or will be collected the following week.
Recyclables do not need to be sorted for pickup. The Town of Leesburg’s contractor, CSI, uses a bulk pickup truck to collect recyclables and sorts them at their facility.
How do I report a missed recycling collection?
Please use our online form to report missed trash, recycling or yard waste collections.
Please note that CSI uses different trucks for yard waste and recycling, as the materials go to different facilities. Recycling that is set out after 6AM may be missed by the collection crews. Crews cannot return for materials set out late or for materials in un-marked containers.
What can be recycled?
Need information on what items can be included in your recycling container? Check out our What to Include in Your Recycling with photos and descriptions of items accepted! You may also download a PDF copy of our recycling brochure that can be printed for future reference.
What cannot be recycled?
The following items cannot be accepted with recycling collection:
- Tin foil, aluminum disposable baking pans
- Drinking glasses, glass mirrors, window glass
- Light Bulbs (Click here for information on CFL bulb disposal)
- Facial tissue, paper towels, napkins, etc.
- Cardboard Milk and Juice Cartons (these items have a wax lining on the cardboard)
- Pizza boxes with grease stains or food stuck to the cardboard
- Frozen food boxes with a wax interior (i.e., some frozen vegetable boxes)
- Styrofoam packing peanuts (Some Styrofoam "bricks" or solid pieces may have a recycling number and can be recycled)
- Aerosol cans
- Plastic containers from hazardous household waste (motor oil bottles, antifreeze bottles, pesticide spray bottles, etc.)
- Snack food bags and wrappers (from chips, granola bars, candy bars, etc.)
- Paper cups, plates and disposable silverware
- Ice cream and frozen juice containers
- Batteries of any kind (auto batteries can be recycled at the Loudoun County Landfill)
Does my recycling have to be in blue recycling bins?
The Town now provides two free, blue, plastic recycling bin to each household and business receiving curbside trash service. New, larger 24-gallon bins are now available. Bins are available for pickup in the lobby of Town Hall, located at 25 West Market Street, next to the Tally Ho Theater, between 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Customers may exchange their older bin for one new, larger bin at no cost. Those customers wishing to purchase additional bins may purchase an additional 18-gallon size for $6 or the 24-gallon size for $10. Damaged bins will be replaced at no charge. Please note that the Town does not offer delivery of recycling bins. Bins should remain at the house should the resident move.
Trash cans may be used for recycling, but they must have a “Recycling” sticker on the can. Contact 703-771-2790 or e-mail email@example.com to request a free “Recycling” sticker. Regular trash should not be placed in these specially marked receptacles. Do not use plastic bags for recycling.
The truck CSI uses for recycling is the same type of vehicle that they use to collect trash and yard waste. To tell what type of material the truck in your neighborhood is picking up, look for a symbol/logo on the side of the truck. There are labels for yard waste and recycling. Trucks without these marks are either trash or bulk pickup vehicles. Note - these are the same actual vehicles but they are used for different materials at different times.
Recycling Drop-off Center
Recycle newspapers, cardboard, paperboard, office paper, phone books, junk mail, magazines, glass bottles, jars, aluminum and steel food cans, and plastic containers at any time at the town’s drop-off center:
Wal-Mart parking lot, Route 15 Bypass (Edwards Ferry Rd)
Additional Recycling Centers in Loudoun County
Loudoun County also provides additional recycling centers located throughout the county. Please visit the Recycling Centers website for locations and materials accepted.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 703-771-2790 if you have any questions regarding the recycling program or need additional information.