News releases are automatically archived after 90 days. The website archive includes news releases from 2016 through the present. Older news releases can be found here.
Wind Storm Updates - Saturday, 8:30 a.m.
Update as of Saturday, March 3, 2018 | 9:30 a.m.
- Power has been restored to the Ida Lee Park Recreation Center. The Recreation Center and Tennis Center will open at 10:00 a.m. The Auxiliary pool will open at noon.
Update as of Saturday, March 3, 2018 | 8:30 a.m.
- Most of NW Leesburg is currently without power. A tree came down on Pershing Ave last night and brought power lines down with it. Also last night, two non-storm related traffic accidents brought down poles on Morven Park Road and Catoctin Circle. Dominion reports a line down on North King Street that they have not yet been able to identify. Verizon is working on the pole on Morven Park Road and Dominion is on scene on Pershing Avenue.
- Areas of NE Leesburg remain without power due to the tree the came down on Edwards Ferry Road at Queen Street yesterday.
- The traffic signal at West Market Street and Memorial Drive is currently out.
- Town crews are assisting with traffic control and collecting storm debris.
- Ida Lee Park Recreation Center is currently without power. The Recreation Center and Tennis Center are closed. All classes are cancelled.
- The Spring Bling Hometown Fine Arts & Crafts Show at Ida Lee is cancelled.
- The reopening of the main indoor pool, scheduled for tomorrow, has been pushed back to Monday, March 5, If power is not restored by noon today, the pool reopening may be delayed further.
Update as of Friday, March 2, 2018, 5:00 p.m.:
Update as of Friday, March 2, 2018, 1:45 p.m.:
- Edwards Ferry Road between Washington Street and Catoctin Circle remains closed. Dominion Power is on scene.
- West Market Street is closed from Fairview Street/Catoctin Circle to the Route 7 on-ramps, due to a downed power line. Dominion Power is on scene.
- Dry Mill Road at Lee Avenue has reopened.
- Town crews responded to a report regarding the traffic signal on Edwards Ferry Road at Costco. The tether wire that hold the bottom of the signal had broken and has been removed. Staff will monitor the signal, but it is not in danger of coming down at this point.
- First Friday will be held as planned this evening. Some shops may close early, but event organizers assure us that the restaurants will be open with lots of live music gigs.
Dominion is reporting over 14,000 customers in Loudoun County without power. For more information, visit their website at www.dominionenergy.com/outage-center. Call 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) to report an outage or downed power line. NOVEC customers, visit www.novec.com/stormcenter.
Please treat all downed power lines as LIVE and DANGEROUS. Stay at least 30 feet away from any downed lines and do not touch anything in contact with wires. Keep children and pets out of any area with storm damage.
Update as of Friday, March 2, 2018, 8:45 a.m.:
- Edwards Ferry Road between Washington Street and Catoctin Circle is closed due to a tree that took power lines, a pole and a transformer down with it. Dominion Power crews are on the scene. Power outages extend from downtown to Catoctin Circle. Dominion has not yet given an estimated time that power will be restored.
- Dry Mill Road at Lee Avenue is closed due to a tree and power lines down. Road will remain closed until further notice.
- Town staff is monitoring traffic signals throughout town. At the present time, all signals are operational.
- Town crews are in all quadrants of town, removing debris and monitoring the situation.
- No decision has been made with regard to this evening's planned events for First Friday. Town staff will reach out to event organizers later this morning.
The Dominion Power website has a map of current power outages on their website at www.dominionenergy.com/outage-center.