News releases are automatically archived after 90 days. The website archive includes news releases from 2016 through the present. Older news releases can be found here.
Leesburg Utilities Department Offers Tips to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes
Below-freezing temperatures forecast to continue through Sunday, January 7, 2018.
Leesburg, VA (January 3, 2018) – The forecast for Leesburg is for below-freezing temperatures to continue through Sunday, January 7, 2018. Sustained below-freezing temperatures may cause damage to home plumbing systems.
The Leesburg Department of Utilities offers the following tips to prevent frozen pipes:
- Be sure pipes in unheated parts of your home, including crawl spaces, are insulated. Foam insulation for water pipes can be found at any home improvement or hardware store. The foam is typically split down the middle so it can be easily wrapped around the exposed pipes.
- Remove hoses from outside faucets and be sure they are drained and shut off.
- Advise all household members where the main shut-off valve is located in case of an emergency.
- If you will be away from home for an extended time, shut off the water supply and drain the system.
During extended periods of below-freezing temperatures:
- Open doors to any cabinets with water supply lines, such as under kitchen and bathroom sinks, to allow warm air to circulate.
- Keep a trickle of water running from the faucet highest in the house. This trickle should be a steady stream the size of the lead in a pencil.
- If your pipes freeze, never thaw a pipe with an open flame or a space heater. A hair dryer can be used if there is no standing water in the area.
If there is no water throughout your house and you have determined that it is not a frozen line within the home, your water meter may be frozen. Please contact Leesburg Department of Utilities at 703-771-2750 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) or the Leesburg Police Department non-emergency number at 703-771-4500 outside of regular business hours for assistance.
Public Information Officer